While on vacation in North Carolina. Mark was bitten by a snake. We did have the dead snake. It was positively identified as a copperhead.
First and foremost THANK YOU ALL for
The prayers calls texts and messages. At one point we had over 400 messages. So if I did not respond to you I apologize.
This snake was near the pool area, not in grass or yard but on cement patio area. Hank our 3 year old grandson had seen it first; almost stepping on it THANK GOD Hank did not get bit.
1. Do not ice nor heat a bite. Ice helps the venom stay in the area which leads to loss of limb. Heat circulates it quickly leading to high toxicity.
2. Squeeze out as much venom as you can ( mark did and the drs said it saved his finger)
3. Go to the biggest hospital quickly. We went to the closest and will have a bill there plus the transfer bill.
4. The anti venom is easily available and extremely costly! It’s approximately $15,000.00 per vile / dose.
Mark had 12!!!!!
We did call 911. They said ok we will call the hospital and hung up! We also called poison control. They have continued to call and check on mark.
The drs say we have a two week window to continue to watch for what is known as serum sickness.
It’s as if the body gets sick from the serum used. It presents like flu. Could have rash fevers and nausea. If this happens he will need transferred to a large hospital to remove the toxins from his blood.